11 October 2006

Air Taxes

The few truly open virtual worlds have shown that there is no reason it cannot be done in a thematic fashion as pioneered by the MMO industry. But they remain graphically primitive, mechanically unstable, and completely without theme by the very virtue of being open virtual worlds. They have the atmosphere of dreamscapes. Also because they obviously do not get the kind of funding that more... gamey projects receive.

This is why, for years now, I have been gaming only enough to learn about the game and then spew words into the Internet through the majority of my time, because I have seen how memes can develop this way and I know that one person with logical and passionate writing can equal five blubbering fools without true arguments to counter with. Developers know this enough to be pushing in that direction in areas they can during times that they can, but they also need to survive and their publishers are not going to take every chance all at once. Several including Brad McQuaid have made themselves clear as to where they would like this all to head, and grassroots projects are always rising that try to do too much at once.

This happens. It is a bad time for people who want the end result now. We clearly go mad.

We are still early in this era. It is much like watching a process of biological evolution. Pong being an amoeba and MUSHs being trilobytes.

I do find some small need for immersive, though primitive worlds that are not necessarily meaningful, because immersive experiences that are meaningful and not necessarily entertainment are still developing, still mutating from their origins, still bubbling beneath the surface, and the transition is agonising much of the time. Hence, again, why I watch and comment more than I take part.

I have also frequently considered abandoning all of this indefinitely, despite my second-to-one passion for it, to focus on my other cause.

I knew as long ago as the age of thirteen that so-called 'entertainment' does not increase my enjoyment of life. It increases my urge to churn the mess until it evolves. To provide my own direction. To get my hands into the 'gaming' industry and breed it my way, or to continue my acting career, or to take performing magic back up again, or to return to the nature of the little stand-up routines I was doing at Jester's here in Westfield. These are thing I know I could do, and they would improve my enjoyment of life, but not only would they not pay bills and buy food (in fact, most likely kill me), they would also not satisfy my insane compulsion to do what I think is noble in the long-term rather than short-term pleasantries. Writing books or opening a living foods establishment would do that, but also, most ironically, kill me with money.

Because you are charged to breathe air in this world.

Yet these are not new thoughts of mine, obviously. That does not mean that I will cease casting my spells.

No comments: